Mold On My Furniture: How Do I Get Rid Of This Mold?

I really don’t want to get rid of the antiques, and some I won’t. But how do I get rid of the mold growing. It is even growing on the window sills. The only thought that I have (besides water and bleach-and I am AFRAID to try it on the wood) is to get central air. Does insurance cover this, and is there any hope out there. All we have are antiques passed down from the 1800’s, I could care less about the rest. What do I do?

We currently have a dehumidifier running (non-stop) in the basement and are going to get another one this weekend. With the weather how it has been, hot and rainy and extremely humid, that’s the cause. I have every window open in the house-so the air is circulating. Today I cleaned most of it with bleach and water. I just hope that it stays away. Would central air work for future summers?

Note from us: This is a difficult situation. Whatever you do, do not use bleach! The water in the bleach solution can soak into the wood and actually feed the mold spores creating a worse problem. If all else fails, your best best is to use Molderizer and SafeSheild for mold on the wood furniture. These products don’t have bleach and even better yet, are is completely 100% organic and biodegradable. It will kill black mold and other mold species while SafeSheild will prevent it from coming back. The product can clean mold and mildew, but more importantly it is a great shield to protect from future mold and mildew growth.

Similar Mold & Related Sites

10 thoughts on “Mold On My Furniture: How Do I Get Rid Of This Mold?”

  1. Mold is very dangerous to you. Don’t inhale it or be around it. It will cause you bad health problems.

  2. I would use a dehumidifier. Maybe two depending on how large the room is. We had to do that at a hotel I worked at due to mold causing a bad smell and actually causing wallpaper to peel down. Good luck.

  3. I use to get mold in the window sills too, and I have central air. You would have to run it often. The cheaper alternative is a dehumidifier. They make different sizes and they do the trick.

  4. Some items that are more delicate can be cleaned with out bleach ( the regular way you would clean them ) and hopefully it will stay gone. Air circulating, lowering humidity and getting some sun light ( carefull of the antiques ) all can help.
    When you do get it off walls, windows frames etc. be careful if you do use a 50/50 water and bleach not to get on carpets, fabric, clothes, wood, leather etc, as it will damage them.
    Also ‘Lysol spray" on drapes, fabric couches,carpet etc, as a maintenace against future mold will help.
    You need to try and remove it all at once, like over a few days so it doesnt " grow" back onto other surfaces again.

  5. Oh my word! Bless your heart! I know this is not what you want to hear, but my cousin and her family rented a house with a mold problem like what you are describing. They had to throw everything out including many of their clothes. Nothing could get the smell out of their belongings.

    Please have a professional come in and evaluate your situation. You could get very sick in that house with all of that mold! I would try to move my valuables into storage immediately.

    I don’t think insurance covers this. I am just wondering where you live and if you have had this problem before. Did a leaky roof cause it? Unusually damp conditions? I hope you can get it cleaned up soon.

  6. ke su has the right idea. After cleaning with light soap and bleach, get some air moving around with an oscillating fan and dehumidifyer. Lysol spray or Febreeze can help with odor.

  7. for now you are doing the right thing by using a dehumidifier. i would suggest to give it a thorough blow with your vacuum cleaner to and then use the dehumidifier. it will surely help.

  8. Please get a de-humidifier or two for now I doubt your insurance will cover this. This is a maintenance problem not a property damage claim. You need to go to a Sanitation Supply store and get a mildew cleaner (industrial cleaner). Explain what you have and they should supply the proper cleaner. Usually its sprayed on, Quite simple but effective and important. Spray everywhere even if you see no mildew this mildew could be in behind your walls , ceilings, attic, anywhere. You may want to call an air quality contractor or a contractor that services the insurance companies for property losses due to flood (water damage). your insurance agent would know someone or any insurance company will have a preferred contractor list that they use for this type of damage. Have this inspection done by a specialist as I mentioned above. Mildew is very harmful to your health as well as your property so please get this done.

Comments are closed.