my hermit crab tank is starting to stink!?

its really starting to smell bad in there, and i dont know why. 2 of my hermits are possibly molting, but its not a chemicaly smell or anything. its more of a musty/moldy/fishy smell that is stinking up my whole room. any idea of what’s causing this? and any ways to get rid of smell?

also, as i mentioned before, i cant really do a whole tank clean-up becasue of my molting hermit crabs, so an idea that doesnt require an entire clean-up would be nice…

and also i dont think its overheating, because the temp is at 78~80ish F

im positive their not dead, because the 2 that arent molting are still moving, and the places the ones that possibly are molting dont smell at all. its just an overall smell im getting from the tank.

could it be the new sheet moss (non toxic) i put in a few days ago? and i have seen some mold starting to develop on some of the driftwood i put in, could the smell also be that? and any ways i can get rid of mold?


Similar Mold & Related Sites

3 thoughts on “my hermit crab tank is starting to stink!?”

  1. Could be the driftwood, but if the environment is moist enough that the wood is growing mold then chances are good there might be more mold under the rocks/whatever other flooring material you have in there. I’d say that since you’re unwilling/unable to do a full clean due to the molting ones, you might just have to get a candle and deal with the smell until you’re able to do a full clean. It sounds like you already know enough to know that you can’t just spritz the crabs with Febreeze, so thank god for that, lol.

  2. Well, if it’s not the crabs, it must be something else. You need to go through every item, pull it out, and smell it. Also, take this chance to check for mold on anything. Mold very easily can be growing on anything, and you can’t see it, so take this chance to check. Then put it aside, unless you’ve determined the source of the smell. Once you took everything out (and it wasn’t any of those items), then you need to check the substrate. As your hermies are underground, you need to be very careful, but just take out the top layer of substrate. If this doesn’t alleviate the smell, you need to try to sniff out what section of the substrate the smell is coming from. It sounds as if you know where the hermits are molting, so if it’s not coming from around there, carefully dig up that section and check for buried food or anything like that.

    If none of this works, I’m plum out of ideas.

Comments are closed.