8 thoughts on “what is the best thing to get rid of mold ???? Without bleach ???”

  1. Hi,
    If you don’t have one buy a Steam Cleaner. They work great for cleaning mould. The other thing you can try is industrial strength peroxide. Normal house hold peroxide is 3 to 6%, industrial strength is around 20%. It kills mould and whitens the grout.

    If you are talking about using it on fabric, don,t use peroxide use the Steam Cleaner.

  2. Where is the mold? You can use a variety of household cleaning products depending on the surface needing cleaned. I use "Spik- n span" and Lysol liquid cleaner for many areas prone to mold like window sills and damp corners. Hope this helps. (Had to change the spelling of the cleaner because Yahoo starred it out.)

  3. Kind of like asking: "What is the best way to breathe, without oxygen?"

    While there may be a way to do it, it would be highly inefficient and not nearly as effective. Common household cleaners simply do not kill the fungus thouroughly. They may maim and harm it, but without potent chemical like bleach, you are much more likely to be creating variant forms of the mold which will be harder to kill, as they will develop immunity to the milder chemicals used.

    boiling an item, salt, detergents and sunshine can help, but chlorine bleach is the best option by far.

  4. Try either of these two products: Triple Action 20, and Physan 20. These products are identical, and were created originally for hospital use. They will kill mold and fungus, and destroy musty odors as well. In a less concentrated dilution they make excellent sprays to kill many plant diseases, viral, bacterial, and fungal. Check out the website for complete info. I have seen these in stores rarely.

  5. There are commercial products; I don’t know chemical names. A guy who came to my house to inspect found mold, and he recommended that I get fungicide, or bleach. Lysol claims to stop mildew. Heavy duty commercial products aside, bleach is really the best. Physically removing (scraping) stains may be possible, for example if its drywall or wood, but you then need to patch or refinish. You would want to do this AFTER you already treat the area, so that you aren’t scraping active spores into the air. If its clothing, even if you kill it, there will be stains. If its a chronic problem, like a damp environment, then there are products which remove moisture from the air…electric dehumidifiers, and cheap disposable ones. These are good for closets and small bathrooms. I think electric dehumidifiers are popular for moist basements.

    I’m no chemist, but my opinion is that even though bleach is harsh, once its gone, as in evaporated or rinsed away, there isn’t lingering chemical residue….as for the other products, I don’t know….

Comments are closed.