Who knows about mold in a home?

OK I went to see a house for sale today I fell in LOVE it needs alot of work but the potential and PRICE are awesome it is a bi-level home and it is bank owned the lower level was gutted out I was told that there was a flood and they didnt know for a while I am not sure how long you can tell that there was some mold that was cleaned but left a mark behind and it looks like the upper level has little spots here and there my questions are 1st is it possible that the mold upstairs is just because it has been so damp and cold and the house has not had heat and it is just on the wall or do you think it is in the walls? 2nd if it is in the walls is there a way to get rid of it without ripping the walls off? and 3rd is all mold from floods dangerous? I know this is a lot to read and thanks for any help in advance.


Similar Mold & Related Sites

8 thoughts on “Who knows about mold in a home?”

  1. Molds (or moulds; see spelling differences) include all species of microscopic fungi that grow in the form of multicellular filaments, called hyphae.[1] In contrast, microscopic fungi that grow as single cells are called yeasts. A connected network of these tubular branching hyphae has multiple, genetically identical nuclei and is considered a single organism, referred to as a colony or in more technical terms a mycelium.

    Molds do not form a specific taxonomic or phylogenetic grouping, but can be found in the divisions Zygomycota, Deuteromycota and Ascomycota. Although some molds cause disease or food spoilage, others are useful for their role in biodegradation or in the production of various foods, beverages, antibiotics and enzymes.

    Contents [show]
    1 Biology
    2 Common molds
    3 Uses
    3.1 Food production
    3.2 Drug creation
    3.3 Other uses
    4 Health effects
    5 Growth in buildings and homes
    6 Gallery
    7 See also
    8 References

    [edit] Biology
    There are thousands of known species of molds, which include opportunistic pathogens, saprotrophs, aquatic species, calders and thermophiles.[2] Like all fungi, molds derive energy not through photosynthesis but from the organic matter, inside of which they live. Typically, molds secrete hydrolytic enzymes, mainly from the hyphal tips. These enzymes degrade complex biopolymers such as starch, cellulose and lignin into simpler substances which can be absorbed by the hyphae. In this way, molds play a major role in causing decomposition of organic material, enabling the recycling of nutrients throughout ecosystems. Many molds also secrete mycotoxins which, together with hydrolytic enzymes, inhibit the growth of competing microorganisms.

    Molds reproduce through small spores,[2] which may contain a single nucleus or be multinucleate. Mold spores can be asexual (the products of mitosis) or sexual (the products of meiosis); many species can produce both types. Some can remain airborne indefinitely, and many are able to survive extremes of temperature and pressure.

    Although molds grow on dead organic matter everywhere in nature, their presence is only visible to the unaided eye when mold colonies grow. A mold colony does not comprise discrete organisms, but an interconnected network of hyphae called a mycelium. Nutrients and in some cases organelles may be transported throughout the mycelium. In artificial environments like buildings, humidity and temperature are often stable enough to foster the growth of mold colonies, commonly seen as a downy or furry coating growing on food or other surfaces.

    Some molds can begin growing at temperatures as low as 2°C. When conditions do not enable growth, molds may remain alive in a dormant state depending on the species, within a large range of temperatures before they die. The many different mold species vary enormously in their tolerance to temperature and humidity extremes. Certain molds can survive harsh conditions such as the snow-covered soils of Antarctica, refrigeration, highly acidic solvents, and even petroleum products such as jet fuel.

    Xerophilic molds use the humidity in the air as their only water source; other molds need more moisture.

    [edit] Common molds
    Acremonium
    Aspergillus
    Cladosporium
    Fusarium
    Mucor
    Penicillium
    Rhizopus
    Stachybotrys
    Trichoderma

    [edit] Uses

    [edit] Food production
    Cultured molds are used in the production of foods, including:

    cheese (Penicillium spp.)
    tempeh (Rhizopus oligosporus)
    oncom (Neurospora sitophila)
    Quorn (Fusarium venenatum)
    sausages[3]
    soy sauce
    The koji molds are a group of Aspergillus species, notably Aspergillus oryzae, that have been cultured in eastern Asia for many centuries. They are used to ferment a soybean and wheat mixture to make soybean paste and soy sauce. They are also used to break down the starch in rice (saccharification) in the production of sake and other distilled spirits.

    [edit] Drug creation
    Alexander Fleming’s famous discovery of the antibiotic penicillin involved the mold Penicillium chrysogenum.

    Several cholesterol-lowering drugs (such as Lovastatin, from Aspergillus terreus) are derived from molds.

    The immunosuppressant drug cyclosporine, used to suppress the rejection of transplanted organs, is derived from the mold Tolypocladium inflatum.

    [edit] Other uses
    Other molds are cultivated for their ability to produce useful substances. Aspergillus niger is used in the production of citric acid, gluconic acid and many other compounds and enzymes. The mold Aspergillus nidulans is an important model organism. Ashbya gossypii is used in industrial production of riboflavin and is further studied as a model organism.

    [edit] Health effects
    Main article: Mold health issues
    Molds are ubiquitous in nature, and mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust. However, when mold spores are present in large quantities, they can present a health hazard to huma

  2. The best thing would probably be to get a trained inspector to look at the house, with an eye on the things that you saw.

    All mold is not "killer mold". Some is worse than other. Still, mold is a bad thing, even if it isn’t "killer" mold. Some people have allergies to otherwise "harmless" molds.

  3. It is possible that it was caused by the dampness. If it is on the walls, good chance that it is on the other side as well. And you would have to take the walls down, if for any other reason to be sure it hasn’t started on the structure. And no mold is good, and black mold is the worse for repertory problems. I would have it inspected 1st.
    I hope this helped

  4. mold is gross
    my mom tried to clean up our moldy basement and she got sick and was puking for, like, ever.
    and i kno yr probly not gonna do it yrself, but you don’t want someone to get sick while doing the job for you? bcz that wud b cruel.

    Anyways i think that its probly a waste of time, work, and money(have you considered the amount of money youll need to pay to renovate, w/ taxes and the price of the actual house and EVERYTHING else??)

    But if you want to, thats yr choice to make not mine

    GOOD LUCK! :]

  5. I would advice you not to even think about buying the home! Getting rid of mold out of a house can in fact be very expensive and for sure it’s very dangerous to your health and others! The mold and mildew in the bottom half of the house could be very toxic and very, very expensive to get rid of! And that ‘s why the price is reflecting the condition of the house.

    Chances are it’s in the walls too, and most like worse and endless you have a nice stash of cash in your bank account for many costly repairs and are up to maybe getting health problems? I would advise to just look for a better house without mold and mildew problems! Mold from floods are very dangerous and aren’t to be taken lightly! No cheap price is worth your health! If you really are set in wanting that house, ask the seller if you can have someone from the health department check the house out for health reasons! I would bet the seller will say NO way instantly! Better safe then Sorry!

  6. There’s many types of mold.
    Most harmless.
    Some harmful.
    A few of them very harmful.
    And one (that I know of) fatal.
    This is the flesh-eating mold.
    There are mold test kits you can purchase at your hardware store if you want to test it yourself.

    Now to answer your questions,
    1) Mold needs both moisture and some organic material to "eat" to survive. In the case of drywall, It eats the paper. That’s why now they manufacture paperless drywall for bathrooms and such. It scored an incredible 100% in lab studies. No paper = no mold.
    2) The only way to be sure there’s no mold, and to be sure it’s not going to come back is to remove the infected area. If you can’t remove it, treat it with Jasco or an equivalent.
    3) I think I answered this one already.

    BTW-
    Of all the samples I’ve sent in to labs to have analyzed,
    none were of the harmful variety.

    All the best with whatever you decide..

  7. Not all mold is dangerous but it ‘s hard to get rid of . consult a good inspector who is familiar with this problem. we had a similar situation in the family and we were told to forget it the house in question was unfit for human habitation.

Comments are closed.